Friday, August 13, 2010

Velkommen til Danmark!

Hej everyone! 


So I've been in Denmark for almost two weeks now and I figured it's about time to get a blog up and running to keep everyone (or whoever's interested..) in Canada informed on what I get up to over here.  (And that way instead of writing twenty emails, I only write one!)


It's hard to believe that just twelve days ago I was at my house in Kelowna, but even harder to imagine that I won't be there again for another eleven months!  Saying goodbye was definitely not easy and I know I will (and I do!) miss all my friends and family over the next year. But as they say, your year in Rotary Youth Exchange will be "The Best Year of Your Life" and I want to make sure I have the greatest year possible!  So if you find I fall behind in keeping in touch, just know that I am having fun, fully immersed in my Danish life and that I love you all!


Of course I am thinking of everyone from home always and I plan to update my blog every two weeks! (We'll see how that goes..)


So, My First Two Weeks in Denmark


For my flight over I had the pleasure of flying first class. I don't know how that happened but thank you Rotary!


Good Things About Flying Firstclass:

  1. When you have an airport layover you can relax in the lounge and help yourself to complimentary food, beverages, WiFi and more!
  2. Leg Room!
  3. Overnight flights come with an amenity kit with: socks, lip chap, toothbrush and paste, etc.
  4. 3 Menus to choose from. (I selected the crab-avacado salad, beef filet with roasted vegetables, and chocolate mousse for dessert!)
Nicest Airport: Keflavik International, Iceland

Most Unnecessary Airport Aids:
  1. Five thousand printouts of the airport layout from different angles. (Thanks anyways Mom!)
  2. Sea-Tac airport help stations with attendants who don't speak English.
With all my first class luxury, the flight over didn't feel long at all and before I knew it, I was in Copenhagen!

People I've Stayed With Here in Denmark:


  1. Anker Tvermosegaard and his wife Gudrun - 1 night
    • The first day I was picked up from the airport by my Rotary Club Counsellor and his wife, whom I spent my first night in Denmark with.  They both speak nearly perfect English (She speaks 5 languages actually..) and so they were able to give my tons of information on just about everything.  They were very knowledgable and provided the perfect introduction to Denmark! 
  2. Bjarne and Birthe Karlsson - 4 nights
    • Next I moved in with another Rotarian, Bjarne and his wife Birthe.  Their apartment is right downtown Copenhagen and walking distance from just about everything you'd want to see!  As well, for one night we stayed at the Sommer Hus, where they live for 6 months of the year, which is north of the city by a beach town.  It was great driving to and from the summer house because I got to see the Danish countryside and it was a beautiful drive.
  3. The Ingemann's - My first host family!
    • Finally at the end of the week I moved in with my first host family and getting to unpack my suitcases was probably the best thing to ever happen to me.  I'm now living in a nice family home in the suburb, Brønshøj, just a twenty minute train ride from downtown Copenhagen. (And that's a fact because I've done it!)  My family consists of Dad, Jens, Mom, Helle, Anna (18) and Dina (12).  Right away I'm like part of the family! Oh and we have a cat named Mees.  The Ingemann's are very active, they bike everywhere and love to swim and travel, and the eat so well!  I think while I live here I will learn to cook because it seems like one of their favourite things to do together as a family.
So far everyone I have stayed with have been so kind and welcoming! Since arriving in Denmark I think I have felt pretty at home where ever I've been.  And already I have seen so much!

The Sights I've Soaked In:
  1. Roskilde - 
    • A quaint city with a famous music festival.  Anker took me the first day after getting my social security card.  We went to the Domkirke, a big, beautiful church full of buried royals!
  2. The Viking Ship Museum - 
    • After the church, Anker and I went to this museum situated on a bay where they found actual viking ships in the water.
  3. Tivoli - 
    • I didn't actually ride the rides, but I went for dinner my first night with the Karlssons and we met their grown son Rasmus and his gf, Charlotte.  The dinner was excellent! Not to mention super expensive... And Tivoli was so charming at night with all the lights.  It's true Danish style: smallscale and charming.
  4. Tisvildeleje -
    • At the summer house, Birthe and I took the bikes down a bike path through the woods to the beach town of Tisvildeleje where we had ice cream.  The Danes really love to be outside and everyone was so blond and tan!  And I set my feet in the Baltic for the first time :)
  5. Downtown Copenhagen - Birthe and I walked from the apartment all over downtown.
    • Christiansborg-
      • Where parliament is.
    • Strøget -
      • The longest pedestrian shopping street in Europe where I could potentially spend A LOT of money.
    • Nyhavn -
      • The famous Danish harbour full of colourful buildings and bustling with people.
    • The Canals -
      • We took a Canal boat tour through the water around downtown and explored all the areas situated on the water.  Many important buildings like the theatre, the opera house, and the library are on the water because it's so beautiful.
  6. Amalienborg -
    • The last day with Birthe, we went to the palace which is comprised of four buildings I think? And one of these buildings which had not been updated since 1936 was recently renovated for the Crown Prince, Frederik, and his Australian wife, Mary to move into.  So for a limited time only, the palace was open to the public to see the renovations (sans furniture) and we went on the last day! It was the longest line (The Royal Family is pretty popular I think.) but it was really cool to see! One of the major changes was to introduce modern art into the palace to demonstrate the connection between art and architecture, so while the structure of the building was your typical old palace detail, there were all sorts of modern murals and art pieces by Danish artists throughout which was really interesting.
It was quite a busy first week. Thankfully jet lag didn't prove to be a huge problem but I do sleep very soundly! Apparently the other night the fire alarm went off and it's right outside my bedroom. The whole family came downstairs and I had nooo idea..

And already I have experience a lot of independence.

Some Adventures on My Own:
  1. Shopping in Strøget while Bjarne and Birthe were at work.
  2. Taking the train into Copenhagen for my first meeting with exchange students.
  3. Meeting up with my friend and fellow exchanger Erin from Kamloops.
  4. Biking to my school to see how long it would take, got a little lost mind you.. but all in all it's a nice ride!
So for the most part this past week I have been living the everyday life of my family, which has been equally nice.  Everything from grocery shopping to gardening, swimming at the beach and the pool, making dinner, going to Dina's sailing lessons and watching Bridget Jones' Diary.. 

Now because everyone is at school and work during the day, I can't wait for school to start! And then IntroCamp for a week with all the exchange students in Denmark, which I think will be quite similar to summer camp, but with Danish lessons :)

So bye for now! I'll will try again in two weeks?  Apparently I had a lot to say so I think next time will be shorter..

Kram!
Sarah




1 comment:

  1. hahahaha!
    oh Mom!
    sounds like you had lots of fun! I'm so JEALOUS about the palaces!
    lucky you!
    keep us posted :)
    - Rae (aha)

    ReplyDelete